Mmmmm...cookies...peanut butter chocolate in a crunchy chewy cookie...
Okay I'll stop drooling now but you get the point. These cookies are AMAZING and so easy to make. They don't use flour at all, the science is all based around the peanut butter. I don't know if you have ever tried heating peanut butter up (if you haven't, don't) but when heated instead of melting and becoming oily, the butter becomes like a thick paste. Turns out if you add sugar and egg to it, the same thing happens. And Voila! you have cookie dough with none of the allergens but all of the flavour. These are a very soft bake on day one, and are much more like an American/Millies style chewy gooey cookie. If you can leave them overnight, they become much more like a normal biscuit with pockets of chewy goodness.
I used a supermarket own brand 85% dark chocolate for these as it said it was dairy free. However, I know there has been some trouble with companies labeling their chocolate as dairy free or milk free, when actually there's up to 25% milk in them. To be on the safe side, I'd recommend using certified dairy free chocolate and this recipe would take dark, milk or even white chocolate - it depends how sweet your tooth is!
For an epic cookie, try adding vegetarian marshmallows. You can cut them small like I have here, or you could try using them whole, and moulding the cookie dough around them!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Makes 12 large
* 2 cups smooth peanut butter
* 1 cup granulated sugar
* 1 cup light brown soft sugar
* 2 medium eggs
* 1 tsp baking pwoder
* 1 tsp baking soda
* 1/2 cup chocolate chunks
* Handful of small vegetarian marshmallows, optional
* In a large bowl, mix together the peanut butter and sugar until it forms a thick paste
* Add both eggs and mix well, until it becomes thicker and there are no signs of any egg
* Mix in the baking powder and baking soda
* Fold in the chocolate chunks/ marshmallows
* Roll two tablespoons of dough into a ball and press down onto baking parchment
* Make sure you leave a good 3cm of space around each cookie
* Bake for 20-25 minutes on 150C /Gas mark 3 until they are cracked and golden on top
* Leave to cool for at least 1 hour